It took Sam 12 months to find the right role after he’d been laid off and he was determined to succeed. On paper, he had the right experience, skills and competencies, he just needed to prove it to his employer and, more importantly, himself.
To add to the challenge, Sam’s hospitality industry employer was undergoing rapid growth and expansion which meant Sam had to ‘deliver’ quickly.
Undertaking the P2R Hit the Ground Running – First 90 Days Program, Sam first set goals and developed a plan to establish key relationships, gain a deep understanding of the business and set the priorities.
This helped him manage the demands of the role and heavy workload, providing a structured approach to make fast progress.
- Regular coaching sessions enabled Sam to reflect on his achievements (not just focus on what was still to be done) and maintain perspective. This rebuilt his self-confidence and helped him demonstrate and report daily and weekly success
- Sam developed new planning, problem solving and decision making strategies which resulted in the successful establishment of a new organisational structure and on-boarding formerly outsourced finance staff within 3 months
- Sam quickly built the trust of both the CFO and CEO and was able to successfully advise and influence decisions regarding the implementation of new systems and processes
- Within 2 years, Sam was promoted to become the CFO.
“Caroline – thank you so much for so many things. You…
- Diagnosed and clarified the real underlying issues to uncover what I really wanted to achieve
- Provided the right advice and tools
- Believed in me, kept me motivated and stretched me to think and act outside of my comfort zone
I have successfully transitioned into my new role, delivered key priorities for the CEO and gained an expert understanding of the business needs and opportunities.
I have established good relations with my team, CEO and broader business managers. I have established financial accounting services which were previously outsourced. I have recruited fresh talent, reassigned roles and responsibilities and developed an implementation plan for a new ERP system.
I have strengthened controls around key business processes and improved the quality and delivery of the mgt and board reporting.
But the biggest change has been in my thinking and approach to my role, both from a strategic perspective and my day to day responsibilities. My physical and mental energy reserves are higher as a result of the coaching program and I am now lot more confident in dealing with any issues.”
Sam, CFO, Hospitality Industry